Sunday, March 4, 2007

Quality Saturday in Basketball

What a day yesterday in college basketball! Notes on some of the games...

UCLA-Washington
Nice game by Washington. Definatley have under achieved this year...especially with that 7 foot freshman Spencer Haws. He just needs to bulk up a little and I'm sure he'll be up there with Greg Oden. Although UCLA has lost a few games to unranked non conference teams (Washington, West Virginia), I still am positive they should be a top seed if not THE top seed. I'd love to see them play OSU, and beat them! Top seeds right now, to me, are UCLA, OSU, UNC, and Kansas.

VMI-Winthrop
Quality Big South Conference Championship game! I was pretty much pulling for VMI the whole way through, becuase, in all likelihood, Winthrop would have gotten in as an at-large bid. This was the first time all season that I had seen VMI play, and, having heard about their 100+ points per game, I was looking forward to a high scoring affair. However, it turned out that they had slowed down their offense and turned up their defense just for the conference tournament. I guess it goes to show that good offense wins games, good defense wins championships (or at least gets you to the title game). Also, why isn't Reggie Williams getting ANY consideration for player of the year? I know, I know, he's just a product of their system, but nobody expected him to score so much and be so good!

No comments: